Apple Store

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Bill Gates is Dead to Me

I purchased the Apple AirPort Express with AirTunes to create a wireless network at home so I could use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. First, I had to install a wireless card in my old PC, which honestly wasn't too difficult. Then I plugged in the AirPort, installed the software and ran the setup assistant. So far so good. Everything worked smooth as a baby's ass.

I got up on the Internet in no time and was soon driving my wife mad showing her how I could surf the web from the bedroom, the living, the kitchen or the bathroom. OK, I kept the bathroom thing to myself.

So, later in the day, as I am now feeling like some sort of networking god, I started working on another program installation on my PC. Of course, this is when things started going bad.

Naturally, being a PC running Windows XP, I had to reboot. Start, Turn Off Computer, Restart. Now wait. Wait some more. Just a little longer. OK, now going to get the iBook G4 and use it for a while. Still waiting. Looking at the Apple Web site now wishing I had a new iMac instead. Oh, there it is. My PC is back.

So, I click on Internet Explorer and ..... Wait .... Why isn't the Internet working? It's working fine on the laptop, but not on the PC. It was working fine a minute ago. This doesn't make sense. @#$%!

Fastfoward about an hour later after I've tried changing nearly every setting even closely related to the Internet on the PC, reinstalled the driver for the wireless adapter, used the Laptop to check the settings on the AirPort Express and tried about 100 Web sites on the PC just to be sure. That's when I stumbled upon the Windows wireless network Wizard.

What I really want to know is if the wireless network was working just fine before I rebooted why in the hell should I have to run it after I reboot just to make the network run? Well, of course, I did. It didn't change any settings, but I had to do it to make everything work again.

You know what I think. I think Bill must get paid by the number of times Windows users have to run wizards.

Bill Gates is dead to me. Long live Steve Jobs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home