Apple Store

Friday, March 24, 2006

Trust Me, You Need This

ShieldsUp is a site that allows you to check the security of your computer and internet connections by checking what ports are openned and allowing access to your computer. I ran the program on my computer and found everything to be in good shape, but I spend a lot of time updating my software so I doubt most people will do as well.

In fact, I know most of the people who are viewng ths blog - even only for a second - won't do so well. That's becuase the reports generated by this site show me a lot of information about the people who visit.

From one report, I get your IP address, physical location, operating system and what type of browser you are using. It also tells me what screen resolution you are using.

That bad part about all of this is that the site meter service I use which gives me all of this information on you is free. Imagine what I could find out if I wasn't so cheap and paid for these reports.

By the way, I can tell the reports it generate on me when I check my site becuase it always shows up as "unkown location," but when my wife checks from her office it even tells me the domain name of where she works, and if you have read any of my previous posts that's pretty funny since the IT guys where she works are so militant.

So, judging by the information that I am getting about you, right now, while you are reading this, you may want to check out ShieldsUP and tighten up your security a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home